Are you looking forward to knowing how 3d movies have detailed high-quality models, monsters, mermaids, and dinosaurs which died years ago? Well, they are created by 3d sculpting and with some of the Best Free 3D Sculpting Software available in the market.
- 1 Best Free 3D Sculpting Software
- 1.1 ZBrush Core Mini
- 1.2 Sculptris
- 1.3 Meshmixer
- 1.4 Blender
- 1.5 ScupltGL
- 1.6 Mudbox
- 2 Final Words:
Best Free 3D Sculpting Software
Here is the list of most popular sculpting software in the 3d industry. These softwares are game-changers for 3d Artists as they are making life easier for them. Many production houses use them to speed up their workflow, create detailed creatures having millions of polygons. Working with a lot of polygons and applying high details on organic models is possible because of this.
Also, Read more about 3d Softwares
ZBrush Core Mini
ZBrushCoreMini is designed for new artists of all ages, with a streamlined interface that lets anyone jump right in and starts sculpting immediately. It is another digital sculpting tool used in production studios. It is used to create highly detailed models like with up to 40 million polygons models.
ZBrush is one of the most popular and trustworthy companies when talking about high detailed sculpting for 3d models. Zbrush can be easily integrated with software like Autodesk Maya, Blender, Cinema 4D.
Scultris is a 3d digital sculpting tool created by Pixologic. It is used to create highly detailed meshes. It is a nice free tool to start your digital journey and experiment with its features. Its features are easy to learn and implement.
Sculptris also lets you import 3D meshes (.obj) for further detailing and modifying. it is not as detailed as Zbrush and another sculpting is the reason this tool has limited functions.
Pixologic is a leading company in the 3d industry. It is widely popular and develops and markets innovative tools for film, video games, and sculpting. Pixologic has been an important reason for high-end graphics which we see today everywhere around us.
Meshmixer is state-of-the-art software for working with triangle meshes. It is another 3d software in the market from Autodesk. It is considered a “swiss army knife” for creating 3d meshes. Whether you want to have a 3D scan, do some 3D printing, or design an object that fits something else? Meshmixer is able to perform all of the tasks. 3.3 is the latest version for Meshmixer in the market right now.
- Some of the tools inside the Meshmixer are as follows:
- Drag-and-Drop Mesh Mixing.
- 3D Sculpting and Surface Stamping.
- Robust Convert-to-Solid for 3D printing.
- 3D Patterns & Lattices.
- Hollowing (with escape holes!).
- Branching Support Structures for 3D printing.
- Automatic Print Bed Orientation Optimization, Layout & Packing.
- Advanced selection tools including brushing, surface-lasso, and constraints.
- Remeshing and Mesh Simplification/Reducing.
- Mesh Smoothing and Free-Form Deformations.
- Hole Filling, Bridging, Boundary Zippering, and Auto-Repair.
- Plane Cuts, Mirroring, and Booleans.
- Extrusions, Offset Surfaces, and Project-to-Target-Surface.
- Interior Tubes & Channels.
- Precise 3D Positioning with Pivots.
- Automatic Alignment of Surfaces.
- 3D Measurements.
- Stability & Thickness Analysis.
The company behind this cool software is Autodesk which is a leader in 3d graphics industry. It is an American multinational software corporation that makes software services for the architecture, engineering, construction, manufacturing, media, education, and entertainment industries since 1982. It has offices all over the world. Its U.S. locations are California, Oregon, Colorado, Texas, Michigan, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. And its Canada offices are located in Ontario, Quebec, and Alberta.
Autodesk also allows this software to download from the App store.
Blender is a free and open-source 3D computer graphics software toolset. It is used in creating games, animated films, 3d printing. While its features include 3D modeling, UV unwrapping, texturing, raster graphics editing, rigging and skinning, fluid and smoke simulation, particle simulation, soft body simulation, sculpting, animating, match moving, rendering, motion graphics, video editing, and compositing.
A Dutch animation studio NeoGeo started to work on Blender software. Its version 1 was released in January 1995. Blender was released as freeware online on 1 January 1998. It’s latest version 2.83 is very much improved with having lot of advanced and high-end features and user interface with the grease pencil tool, added VR capability, hair simulation. Also, other features like bug fixes and usability improvements for fluid systems, new cloth brush is added, new clay thumb brush, a newly designed layer brush are also added to make it more powerful in 2020.
SculptGL is not software but in fact, it is a web-based app. This is a free app and does not require a signup. It runs in a web browser and it is not powerful like Zbrush but it is a nice way to understand and try your hands on digital sculpting.
Also read: Visual Effects Studios
It is having tons of features which are as follows:
- Standard tools: Brush, Inflate, Smooth, Twist, Drag, etc.
- PBR Vertex Painting (color, roughness, metalness).
- Alpha texture support for each tool.
- Quad-tri Subdivison (Catmull-Clark/loop).
- Reversion (compute opposite of subdivision if possible).
- Navigating from low/high poly level subdiv will retain sculpting changes.
- Keep UVs (both reversion and subdivision).
- Uses SurfaceNets meshing algorithm (produces quad-only mesh).
- Uniform remeshing (quads will have the same size).
- It can also create a non-manifold vertex.
- In the case of a non closed mesh, a naive hole-filling algorithm is performed first.
- Deletes UV.
- Triangles only.
- Operates in real-time.
- Local subdivision (create new triangles).
- Local decimation (deletes triangles).
- Deletes UV.
Supports OBJ, PLY, STL import/export.
- Reads vertex color.
- Optimizes post and pre transform cache (tipsy algorithm).
Mudbox is a high-end 3d Sculpting and painting software designed for 3d modelers. It was Developed by former Weta Digital artists Tibor Madjar, David Cardwell, and Andrew Camenisch. This software was first used in the 2005 King Kong movie.
This software can help create high detailed 3d models with detailed sculpting, polygonal modeling. Regarded as one of the most professional sculpting tools, This software can handle high detailed 3d modeling with ease.
Mudbox is owned by Autodesk. Initially, this software was developed by Skymatter Ltd in Newzealand. Later on this software and acquired by Autodesk Company on 6 August 2007.
This too is not free but can be purchased as a year subscription for 80$.
So this was the article on Best Free 3D Sculpting Software. Using these 3d softwares in your workflow is the easiest way to work with millions of polygons. Creating high detailed models is not a touch and impossible job now. Thanks to these high-end tools which makes the life of 3d modeler easy.
And we hope you really liked it. Please do not forget to share it with your friends and help us get some exposure.